"Let love be genuine. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality." Romans 12: 9-13

Teresa Smith is wife to Rob, mom to Nate and Jacob, and loves to cycle with her husband on their Ferrari Red Co-Motion Tandem. Her passion for this blog is to help make life simple living on a gluten free diet with delicious recipes that she has adapted to be gluten free. She and her husband are missionary staff with FamilyLife Ministries in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Menu

Followers

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Quinoa with Orange & Mint

This little salad is one I came up with after tasting something similar at Whole Foods. What is really great about Whole Foods is that they list all the ingredients when you purchase something from their deli. Well that only spells creation for me. I love taking the ingredients and finding my own quanities, coming up with my own rendition. I must say that I like this recipe better, simply because I went a little more generous on certain things that I like. I think its much more flavorful. Quinoa is such a good choice for those of us on a gluten free diet. Not only is it yummy it also is a good source of fiber which can be hard to come by. I found this wonderful Red Quinoa at Trader Joe's on my latest trip to Nashville to visit our two sons. I wish we had one here. Feel free to use regular quinoa too. The arrangements are endless when it comes to this grain. Experiment for yourself!



Be sure to rinse the grains well before you cook them. It can be a challenge finding a strainer with small enough holes to accommodate this little grain.


Here is what it looks like after it is cooked. They have cute curls that pop out when cooked. It is called the germ ring!!! I know scary.


I always like to toast any nuts that I use in recipes. It brings out a stronger flavor. Just put the almonds in a dry pan and stir. Keep watch or they will burn!



Fresh mint is so good!



Chop it up fine

Fresh orange sections and zest is the secret to this recipe!


You can use whatever type of pepper you like. Red is pretty. I happened to have an orange one.


Mix the dressing ingredients together.


Everything is chopped and ready for the final touch of dressing.


Quinoa Salad with Orange & Mint

1 cup Quinoa

2 cups water

Cook according to package directions. Let cool.

½ to ¾ cup chopped red, yellow or orange peppers, or a combination

3 green onions sliced

½ cup toasted sliced almonds

2 Tbps. fresh mint chopped

1 orange, zested and sectioned

Dressing:

3 Tbps. Champagne Vinegar

2 Tbps. Honey

3 Tbps. Olive Oil

Salt & Pepper to taste

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Theresa, I use cheesecloth to strain my quinoa.
This recipe sounds delicious!

rtsmith1981 said...

ok thanks! What a clever idea! You should see how I have been rinsing it! :)

Angela said...

Hi Teresa,
This salad looks wonderful. Think I will borrow this recipe to take to a friend's birthday party in CO next week. A blog...what a fun adventure!

rtsmith1981 said...

Yippee! I hope they love it!